Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down

...is a great book by Anne Fadiman and a must-read for anyone interested in
cultures and differences. It is an account of a Hmong family in northern California

who had a young daughter who was severely epileptic, one of the very worst cases the doctors had ever seen. The title of the book is the Hmong term for epilepsy and it is often considered a prized characteristic in their culture, and these people often become the shamans or holy people in the community. It traces the history of the Hmong, who have really never had their own country, through the Vietname War, refugee camps, and finally their relocation to the United States. Interestingly, many of the characteristics that have allowed the Hmong to survive throughout history now make it very difficult for them when they arrive in the United States.

What is absolutely fascinating about the book, which details the conflict between the family and their culture and the doctors and their expertise, is that there aren't "good guys" and "bad guys". The author even admits that she tried hard to place some blame in one camp, but couldn't. The family's culture, language, and needs conflicted at almost every step with the doctor's knowledge and expectations for them. In many cases, the expectations just couldn't be met, causing frustration on both sides. Often, the inability to communicate and inability to fully explain procedures and situations was an issues. Othertimes, the family's solid confidence in generations of healing and treatment took precedence. Both sides willingly discuss their choices openly, even when those choices don't make them look very good.

The book is technically a case study, but it reads very much like a novel. It's an extreme case of culture clash, but one I suspect happens in schools, businesses, hospitals, courts, and in everyday life in every community in America. Most of us don't see it, since we are part of the dominant culture. I've read the book several times and this particular rereading has been more personal, now that I'm not part of the majority, especially in a country where certain qualities are ascribed openly to all groups. It's very common to hear people say, "hire a Maasai for a guard, but not a Chagga. Chagga are very clever, but they can't guard," or "oh, he's a haya, that's why he's so smart." Of course, it extends to us white people as well; but while Tanzanians tend to put all "wazungu" in one bunch, Europeans will tend to delineate between different countries, esp. the Americans. It's a bit uncomfortable, since we Americans are really not allowed to generalize like that about groups of people.

Anyway...you know you don't have anything better to do, so read it!

4 comments:

andalucy said...

I love that book! I'd forgotten about it. I read it several years ago for book club. It was my favorite for that year.

I like how you phrase it that Americans are not allowed to generalize about other cultures. Why do you think that is?

Mama Ava said...

I don't know. I am offended once in awhile when I hear people talk that way here, and I actually try to avoid doing it, because I don't think it's healthy (or right in so many cases). In other cases, some cultures are more homogeneous and attributes can be ascribed to a group more easily. I think it's important when you that, though, to try to understand why things appear the way they do, and not to let it determine your actions, but continue to work with people as individuals.

If I were to look around and see Tanzanians as ignorant, or lazy, or dull--and not examine their history, culture, economic situation, and my own cultural bias, then I might actually conclude that all of those things were true, rather than understanding that SOME people are lazy, for example, but not make a sweeping generalization and then act on that

But I think in America we've swung so far in the other direction. We seem to have this idea that we have a God-given right not to be offended so that you can't say or do anything. Everything has to be couched in the fear of "what if someone doesn't like it or is offended?" It drives me nuts.

andalucy said...

"Everything has to be couched in the fear of "what if someone doesn't like it or is offended?" It drives me nuts."

Oh, I know. That drives me nuts, too. It reminds me of the ladies at my daughters' school who told me not to bring red and green frosting to decorate cookies at the winter party because it might be too "Christmasy" and thus offend.

I think you make some great points about judging other cultures. I have in the past heard comments from people about Mexicans that I thought made Mexicans out to be much more homogenous than they are. There is tremendous diversity in Mexico. The comments were based on ignorance. Since hearing those comments it makes me examine my own attitudes more closely.

Karen said...

I read it maybe 10 or 12 years ago, remember enjoying it but not much else ... will hlave to put it on my "re-read" list.