Wednesday, March 10, 2010

It's Serious Business Here, Folks.

I hate to generalize, but...Asians (at least Chinese and Koreans) take things seriously when it comes to their kids. Not a lot is left to chance, so that's where tutors come into play. Not just your ordinary English or Chinese or math tutors, either. My students have swimming tutors, music tutors, drawing tutors, and sports tutors (basically private coaches) as well as academic tutors. They may be outstanding students in school, but still be tutored privately. Korean students also have Korean academy, basically a second round of school all in Korean. If there's something that they would like their kids to be interested in, they seem to turn to tutors. Just "messing around" and exploring things is less a part of their approach. It often makes for overtaxed overworked kids. On the other hand,
if your kids have spent their free time dueling with big sticks, hanging at the beach over the summer, and going to fishing camp, it can be hard to keep up. It's definitely an area where you see the values different cultures place on down time, on exploring, on unstructured learning and learning through play.

And, judging from this ad placed in our expat online forum, it starts early.
My son, 3 years old, is very into lego at the moment. I was wondering if any lego education centre near the east third ring road. Or if any freelancer who can come to our apartment or clubhouse (then I may invite other kids to join too).
Yep, I think she's looking for a Lego tutor.
*On the Time cover, see the kid on the left in the blue shirt with the backpack? Points if you can name the hit TV show he's currently on.

4 comments:

Almost American said...

A Lego tutor? Oh my!

Karen said...

Hey! A job for Ben! And he would take it just as seriously - there are certainly a lot of ways to do Legos WRONG in his book.

andalucy said...

As ridiculous as it sounds to me, I suppose they find some kind of contentment or personal fulfillment in that. G had several Indian/Pakistani friends in the U.S., and what struck me was the high degree to which these parents seemed to live vicariously through the successes of their children. At least, that was my perception. Of course I don't know enough people from those countries to make any generalizations.

I wholeheartedly admire the pursuit of excellence. However, I question their way of attaining it. At least, that would never be my family's way. Where's the joy? I think spending a Saturday afternoon fishing or making a fort or crafting bows and arrows is fun and educational.

As far as academic success goes, it seems that no one exceeds the Finnish kids, and their approach to life is the opposite of what you describe here.

andalucy said...

The lego tutor request is totally lol. I wonder if they'd hire a Rubic's cube tutor? Then G could get into the market.