Thursday, September 16, 2010

Maybe Not Such a Big Deal for You...

These pictures may not look like much (I cetainly didn't spend that much effort taking them!) but they represent a big moment for Ava and Noah. These are the first bedrooms they've ever had decorated just for them. When we lived in Minnesota Ava was a baby and had an adorable room--that I decorated. Noah shared a room with Cameron--one that he decorated.

When we moved to Tanzania, we spent the almost 3 years laboring under the illusion that we would be moving to the school site "...in just a few months." The beds were rough, the paint was weird, and there was really nothing that said "this is my space."

Here in China, Cameron sleeps in the basement, which needed some work so he got furniture and paint to create his own "man cave." It's not fancy, but then, neither is he and it suits him well. Noah and Ava soldiered on with bland walls and boring beds. This year I had them switch rooms, giving Ava the bigger room to hold her toys and her playdates and decided it time to give them a space that felt like they belonged. Courtesy of IKEA and teh New York Yankees and judging from their responses, I think I made out OK.





I don't like those decorating blogs that go 1001% for them parties where every. single. thing. is coordinated and themed and is total eye candy for the parents, but doesn't have a kid feel at all to it. I itch at people who gleefully trot out 10 or 12 tubs of fall decorations, or who change their mantle vignettes every month. One of the things I've taken to heart quite strongly is that we don't need most of what we have, that kids do not need polish and perfection to be happy, and that their stamp on something is more important than mine. Ava loves her pale lavender walls and vinyl clings. Her mosquito net is a holdover from Tanzania ("I just feel better under it, " she says) and the cushion under the bed provides a perfect space for chilling. The shelves are absolutely necessary, having lost many treasure to Chairman Miao who will knock anything off a shelf. The best part--she picked it all out. The second best part--it was cheap.


This Jeter cling is probably the most expensive thing in the room. Why can't I invent something like the Fathead?


Again, essential shelves (Chairman Miao on the prowl). The same bed (sleeping on the bottom with easy access to the iHome and a reading space on top. Everything is silver, gray, navy, and black (thank you Yankees), but there is a shout-out to the Twins on one of the walls as well. He picked it all out--and it was cheap. He loves it.
I love how my kids are content with simple things. No doubt, they would not say no to an iPad or a gaming system--and yes, they each do have an iPod and DS (hello, 15 hour plane rides)-- but I've heard kids comment to them about their things or things they don't have and all of them shrug it off easily. Things that are important (baseball gloves, a bike, an American Girl doll) are treated as special because they are. I have long struggled with the feeling that I should have more or I somehow deserve more, and I'm grateful that they seem to have taken after their dad in this respect!
I regret not making the effort earlier and the next time we move I will put their rooms first and fast. They may not have known it was a big deal, but when it was done, their reactions made it clear it was!



2 comments:

Karen said...

You're such an awesome mom.

andalucy said...

I agree with you and with Karen. The ability to take joy in simple, inexpensive pleasures is one of the finest life skills to impart to children.

My kids haven't been able to find posters or decals they like here so they've been printing things off the internet and taping them on the walls. I think I will splurge on some cork board to step it up a tad. We have three children who are much like yours. They shrug off the expensive stuff and don't care what other children have. One likes nice things, but she is perfectly willing to save or earn the money for them herself.