Thursday, February 03, 2011

My Home Decor Inspiration

Remember that fun painting I showed you in the previous post? Here's what the artist has been up to at our school this fall:



These walls are HUGE. And we had the most unwelcoming dull entrance--until now. These peasant paintings are very popular and oh-so-colorful. I love them! This artist's quality is really good. I felt much better about the price I paid for the one I bought when I brought it in to be framed and saw some of the one the shop had for sale--they were really clearly not as good.

These water scenes are much more representative of more southern China, which makes sense since the artist is from Shanghai. There is a city, Suzhou, near Shanghai that has been called the Venice of China--lots of canals and boats.

This one, too, is a bit more southern--dragon boats racing is HUGE in Hong Kong--Dragon Boat Day is a national holiday (usually in June, so we miss it). But the rest of the scene is full of children playing, which is wonderful. The pink is really pink but the overall effect is fantastic.

There's another huge wall on another hall that also got the treatment...and I broke down and bought two more small pictures last week--one of traditional Chinese baby shoes and another of a baby swaddled in a crib. It's hard to feel blue when you look at all this color!

No comments: