Saturday, May 06, 2006

How to Raise Kids

Well, if you think I have the answer here, you can stop reading now. Because I don't and I probably will never get it right. But I'm noticing something here that I like and it reminds me of my own childhood.

I grew up in Montana, where we had 30 acres and a couple horses. We lived about 5 miles out of a town that really had nothing in it but the swimming pool and a burger joint. It was 130 miles to the nearest mall. There was a JC Penneys in the "big" town 20 miles away--but that's just where we picked up the clothes we ordered through the catalog. I spent most of my youth doing things that would horrify most of you--and had a ball doing it. I used to dream of being a rodeo stunt rider, and movie stunt double, a polo player, or an Olympic equestrian. Each of these scenarios involved standing on, jumping on, jumping off, or jumping over the horses. When that grew old, there was always a good game of cowboys and Indians--with real BB guns (the Indians were always at a definite disadvantage, since we had to make our own weapons and had no skills). We snuck through the neighbor's pasture with hamburger in bags to catch turtles (and avoid being caught and shot at with rock salt). We set things on fire. We swam our horses in the river. We climbed too high in the trees. We swung from a rope swing suspended between two (close) trees and jumped from a tree house over 30 feet high. We jumped off the barn roof. We never went to the emergency room. We ate wild onions, chokecherries, strawberries. We even attempted smoking in the pig sty (sad but true).

My children have grown up in a city with many of the wonderful opportunities that are available there. They've seen plays and operas. They've taken art and music and science classes. They've watched professional sports games and stock car races (OK, I did that, too). They have had opportunities that they take for granted because it was all they knew. Just like I did.

But they can't explore anywhere. I have to take them to the park. And watch them. And monitor and comment and interact with them. Because if I don't, "something" might happen. Or another parent will step in. They can't ride their bikes in the street without an adult spotting for cars. They're considered weirdly cool (or at least mildly interesting) because their mother once let them throw their jack-o-lanterns off the deck. I can't really let them out of my sight because of "something". That's not me talking--it's the voices I hear and the pressure I feel from the culture around me. It's not the voices I want to listen to--I want them to have the free childhood I had, even if they live in the suburbs. Less structure, less planning, less focus on getting them ready for some undefinable moment in their future so they can be successful.

Right now we are still waiting for our shipping container. The boys have a few books from the school library and a small box of legos. Ava has some toy horses and beanie babies. That's it. They're looking forward to the shipping container like the Second Coming, but they've forgotten that it truly contains a limited supply of toys (our legos and some action figures mostly, plus Ava's dolls and dressup clothes). But they are forced to make their own fun and they're doing great. Away from anything familiar they are starting to rely on themselves, rather than others or activities to be content.

And I've noticed the other (mostly European) parents. Maybe it's a Euro. thing, or maybe it's a quality of people who are willing to move to a place like Africa, but they all seem to fret less about their children. They spend much less time hovering, worrying, monitoring, etc. than my friends and I did at home. Their children enjoy the type of unstructured, exploring, away-from-mom's-prying-eyes childhood that so many of us remember. They aren't insensitive, they don't ignore their children--they just seem to accept in their children a natural independence and sense that they'll be fine with whatever they're doing at the moment. Many of them are involved in activities through school and on their own that are structured, but it seems to be for the pleasure of it, not because "everyone else" does it, or because they need to start young to build skills, or because it would look good on a college application. It seems that the children lead and the adults follow. At home, it seemed like parents (myself included) lead, organized, or arranged, and children were brought along.

We love(d) Minnesota--both Mark and I feel that we were Minnesotans that were misplaced at birth. We lived there for 18 years and our lives were blessed by our church, our neighbors, and our friends. We have always felt that it was one of the best places in the country to raise our kids. But we've always wanted something different for our kids than what we had--not necessarily a different place, but a different cultural view about children and childhood. I felt that more strongly when I started homeschooling Cameron and met families that really had a strong vision of what they wanted for their children and had built their lives around those values. My friend, Lindsay, is one in particular--she and her hubby live in Eden Prairie with 4 absolutely wonderful kids who have been able to bypass the kinds of things I've mentioned.

I knew I would have a lot of eye-opening experiences, but this is one I hadn't expected. I've been thinking of how much I appreciated my own childhood, and so many things I didn't like about the pace or reasons why I was doing some of what we were doing with our kids. I'm realizing that I wanted for them what I had, but didn't think was possible in the 'burbs--and that I wasn't even conscious of before. So much of Tanzania reminds me of my Montana childhood--perhaps they can experience that freedom and simplicity I had 30 years ago.

Please, feel free to weigh in with your own childhood memories, thoughts on your kids, whatever...I'll even let you disagree with me! :-)

3 comments:

andalucy said...

I love reading about your Montana childhood! It brings back such memories of my own in central Maine. I am totally with you on this. When I look at how I was as a kid, I realize I was very wild compared to my own suburban children. (Btw, thanks for the compliment on my "wonderful" children, but in what way do you think we've been able to bypass the whole boring suburban thing? We're totally living it. I feel like I have to be hovering, organizing, and monitoring constantly!)

But as I was saying, I was wild, but in a good way. I was independent. I even ran away a few times. (Only a few miles, but still...) I felt so free.

This summer we'll go back to my childhood home for a month. My mom was just reminding/warning my children that the old farmhouse is very rudimentary compared to the comfortable suburban home they live in. G said, "But I LOVE that house." What she loves is the wildness, the beauty, the freedom of that way of life. I bet she'd love Tanzania!

Mama Ava said...

"You have to be looking over your shoulder to make sure they are safe." But that's my point--do you? I have this sneaking suspicion that you really don't. I read a book by Michael Crichton recently called "State of Fear" in which he argues that post WWII and the Cold War, there is a strong economic and political need to keep people in a state of fear. He cites several ways in which this is happening today.

Before we left my preschool group spent almost 90 minutes discussin the ways to avoid stranger abduction--in my mind it was a waste of time. If the Jacob Wetterling situation taught us anything it was that some things are beyond our "control".

I struggled with this all the time. I loved sending Noah to Laurie's because they would get to use the hot glue gun and hammers and nails without an adult around. And you know what? Two 6 year old boys (who have demonstrated they can wreak a lot of havoc) never had a problem. And it was one of Noah's favorite activities of all time.

I, too, have succumbed to the "people think I'm a bad parent" feelings and it would drive me nuts. There were times at parks when I felt like I had to leave because my kids were upsetting the other parents because they were climbing too high, etc. I continue to doubt my kids' judgments in terms of safety at times, but I have to separate what's MY fear and what's a truly important issue.

Here we have the snake issue--which is a real threat, both because very poisonous snakes do exist here and because there is not adequate health care (and in some cases, there's no antidote) for a bite. So when my kids bang around in the grass, I feel that there's a real danger--but I'm trying to focus my energies on how to be smart and proactive, rather than just being afraid. But dirtbikes, horses--both risky endeavors, but amazingly fun--we're gonna let 'em go for it!

Mama Ava said...

*Sniff* What do you do when your little sister says such nice things about you? And while we're on the subject of good parenting cleverly disguised as bad, I won't mention whose younger sister purchased a tiny albeit REAL rifle for her 7 year old daughter. And I won't mention the older sister of the younger sister who lets her oldest son fire away at human shaped targets to wile away the summer hours. And I definitely won't mention whose younger sister has a husband who knows how to make a bomb out of sparklers and would spend his monthly salary on dangerous fireworks while this hypothetical older sister allowed her children to run around in the dark with lit punks on the 4th of July.

And as long as we're not mentioning these things or those people, I WON'T mention bridge jumping, whitewater rafting, ATVs or any of the other things my city children have been deprived of by not growing up in Montana. Treating my sister and my nieces to MOA and Art in the Park was a small tradeoff for the (again hypothetical) adventures my kids got to have with her when we visit Montana.

And she's always insisting on buying ice cream and stuff. What's up with that? But the kids love it!