Monday, June 12, 2006

My first week in Tanzania

Hello, everyone! Hopefully, this will be one of many guest posts that I make on Carla's blog! I have had an amazing first week in Tanzania. I have wonderful hosts, the weather has been beautiful, and everyone has been so friendly.

As you can see from Carla's previous post, teaching at St. Margaret's has also gone well - I plan to start teaching some of the older kids how to read music later this week. They are such quick learners and are very respectful of adults. Every time I enter a room, all of the students stand and say in unison, "Good morning teacher" and when I say good morning and ask how they are doing, they reply "We are fine, thank you. How are you?" It is so cute.

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about how best to use the resources that God has given to me. While this was something that I had thought about occasionally in the U.S. it is very difficult not to think about it here. Every day on the street I see children who do not have enough food or proper clothing, I am confronted with clearly suffering and diseased beggars in town, and yet I have so much. How should I respond? I am still working that out and probably will be for quite some time! However, my time here so far has been a good reminder that all that I have been given is not mine, and thus is not mine to hoard!

However, it has difficult not become a little cynical after being asked for money time and time again. I don't like that because some of the requests are probably valid, but after so many requests, I find myself holding tighter to my money and possessions than ever. While I cannot give to everyone who asks for money, when I do give, I want to do so joyfully.

Anyway, I hope things are well with all of you! Take care!

Rachel

1 comment:

Karen said...

Rachel, you are indeed blessed to be in a situation to start figuring this all out at your young age - many people do not realize what you are learning until they are quite a bit older (if at all.) It's exciting for us back in the US to hear your thoughts and experiences. Thank you for sharing.