Sunday, June 11, 2006

Rachel Visits the Snake Park

So how could we NOT take Rachel to the Snake Park? Out of respect to our readers, we have not posted pics of our last visit, which was feeding day. In which several mice and a bunny met their Maker right in front of our eyes. Sadly, nothing that exciting this time.

No, we did not arrive by camel. Ava just loves to do this and Rachel was more than accommodating. Does she look scared? She took off her glasses--maybe so she didn't have to look down?


There always seems to be some new twist to the Snake Park. Today it was "hold a baby crocodile" day. Cameron was a bit nervous, so we're telling him to hold it over the pit in case he drops it. You'll notice the pit is not deep, nor is it covered...the better for young children to reach in grab something when their parents are distracted, I guess. They're baby Nile crocs, the world's largest croc, and although tiny now, they do have some wicked teeth!



The olive snake seems to be just about the only non-threatening thing at the Snake Park. Ava's definitely interested...no fear there! But since we saw this particular snake swallow a mouse a few weeks ago, I wonder if it's not somehow sizing her up for lunch...


Even Rachel proved to be brave and intrepid! Funny, I guess I forgot to mention this part when I told her about things to do in Africa...she's a terrific sport in more ways than one...she's letting me put pics of her on my blog!



And finally for those of you who wonder just where Mark is on this blog...well, he's working so hard all the time we just can't seem to get a picture of him! But he did emerge out of the workshop for this occasion and manhandled the local wildlife with the rest of us!


And one last note for those who might wonder why I'm not in the scene--well, HELLO! These pictures don't take themselves, you know! And I'll go on record stating that this stuff with lizards and snakes doesn't bother me in the least (well, not the poisonous ones) and I've chased down plenty of both in my lifetime!

2 comments:

Karen said...

And the pics of CARLA holding animals with sharp teeth or slithering tongues are where, exactly?

andalucy said...

That is such a cool pic of Ava and the snake staring eye to eye. And I'd like one of Carla doing the same.