Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Eternal Question(s)...

*So, what do you miss most/notice most about America?

I miss my friends and family. I miss efficiency and speed. I miss stores that are open 24 hours, stores that stock things you need all the time, businesses that can make change. I miss the comfort of knowing exactly what to expect and the predicability of knowing what is going to happen in a situation. I miss Diet Coke. I miss some of the opportunities (theater, museums, etc.) that we had and now don't. I miss my church with its great music and great people.

People and things move so fast! Everything--stores, ads, products--are designed to get something done quicker so you can get on to the next thing, whatever that may be. I barely had time to get my coat off before I had to order a meal and barely finished before the check came. Everyone talks fast, moves fast, drives fast.

*What do you like about Tanzania?

I like the rural small-town feel. I like not having to hover over my kids and feel like I have to protect them every second from some kind of horror on the playground or at the park. I like not feeling like I'm competing in life with other people. I like that faith is a much more integrated aspect of life here. I like the slow pace of looooong lunches and socializing. I like not having every minute sucked up with planned activities. I like not being bombarded with ads that say I don't have enough, I'm not thin enough, or I'm somehow missing out on something. I like not having dramatic seasons and mostly warm days every day. I like the ability to look at myself, my family, my faith, and my country from different perspectives. I like the school our kids attend, where they can learn by doing and exploring and actively participating in their learning.

Funny. If you look at what I miss and what I like, they are often two sides of the same issue. Yes, I miss efficiency and speed, but the lack of efficiency here means I have the time to live life a little slower and enjoy other things more. I miss organized activities, but not the feeling of competition. Spending a week in Bloomington was a great appreciation of what a great life we had when we lived there, but it was also a reminder that it wasn't perfect and I can't idealize it the way I want to do when things are rough here. At the same time, I realized what I will really miss about Arusha when it comes time to leave. Life is what you make of it wherever you're at, isn't it?

2 comments:

andalucy said...

Thanks for posting this. It's always interesting to hear your perspective on these issues.

Beth said...

I'm so glad to have found this blog. I'll enjoy keeping up with you.