Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Why We Can't Sleep


Our current neighborhood is pretty quiet--no cows, no chickens, no people standing around yelling. Noah has malaria and I've come down with something, too--so being able to lay around a quiet house this afternoon sounds wonderful.
But it's not happening.

And this is why. Someone has put a ladder up to the other side of our house and the local vervet family has taken full opportunity to inspect the roof. But they're doing it very quietly.


No, it's our intrepid watchdogs. You know, the ones who can't be bothered to wake up at night. Today they are determined to protect us from the ravishing monkey horde at all costs. No amount of mud or hanging laundry will stop their attempts to jump 40+ feet to get at these furry little invaders. If they were actually doing something useful, I'd admire their persistence. Today, not so much.
This particular monkey family lives in the area and often comes along our wall to pick papayas and avocados. It's more of a snatch and grab operation, though. Today, they've come for the afternoon. *Sigh.*

6 comments:

andalucy said...

you may be bored and annoyed by monkeys on your roof (or at least the resulting dog noise), but we think it's awesome!!

andalucy said...

And malaria doesn't sound good. I assume it's not serious by the tone of your post...

Mama Ava said...

I know...it is something we've never gotten bored with, seeing monkeys all the time. It's one of those things that reminds you that you are living in an exotic locale!

As is malaria. But no, Noah seems to recover quickly. Cameron had it a couple weeks ago and was flat on his back for 3 days, quick sick. We were at the coast for Easter, so I suppose we picked it up there. We don't take meds for it, but I am much more careful with covering up and using bug spray there after dark, but luck was on the bugs' side this time!

AZimmer26 said...

Hello Mark,

It's me Alex (Dudar). I have been searching for you for sometime and finally found you. WOW! It looks like you and your family are doing things most can only dream of. I would love to catch up with you, so please contact me via email.

Take care!

AZimmer26 said...

My email is azimmer26@hotmail.com

shawn said...

I agree with Calandria.. you may be annoyed, but I think it is rather cute.. BUT, my first thought was MALARIA???!!! OMG!! I hope that you are all ok.. I guess I just never thought that it could happen. I mean, I knew it might, but not to YOUR family!!
I hope all is well.. sending warm smiles and prayers your way!