Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Queen of Crazy


Moving across the world causes mental health issues. Hopefully it's transitory. I have been suffering from early onset Alzheimer's since March. Not only do I wander from room to room vaguely wondering why I'm there, I have been losing things that I NEVER lose. Mark is the loser (hee hee) of the family. But I'm setting keys down in strange places, sunglasses, wallets, the whole damn purse. It tends to cause marital discord, I've discovered. "Why did you put the keys in the fridge?" "I didn't have the keys last." "Yes, you did." "No, you drove to Target an hour ago." (See I forgot I went to Target, too) My dear friend Karen has assured me that it was a side effect of packing from Tanzania, living out of suitcases, and arriving here. She's a nurse and her idea is much more cheerful than the possibility of real issues, so I'm going with her idea.

Bipolar issues abound. It takes absolutely NOTHING to set me off. Like, I needed one more form for my swimming pass. Or, the dryer (that I was told didn't work too well, but I guess I forgot) didn't work too well. Or Mark's phone keeps saying he's not available (damn it). On that one I "dropped" the phone. It works differently now but I'm sure I had nothing to do with it. Maybe it always worked that way, I can't remember.

Luckily it takes very little to bring you back up. Like tasty dumplings. My air conditioner working better. My ayi (housekeeper) who seems great and chatters at me even though I can't understand a word. And pedicures.

Men will never understand the amazing effects of a great pedicure. Combine it with a half hour foot massage and I'm not sure there's a problem that can't be rubbed away. She even rubbed the tips of my toes! When she was done I wanted someone to carry me back home so I didn't ruin the feeling by walking. Hmmm....maybe that's why they offer in-home services. That's another great aspect of life--so many things deliver!

Ahhhh...when it cools down, I'll extol the many virtues of great baths, another one of life's pleasures. Unless I forget.

2 comments:

Ave said...

I have had times like that too, where I forget everything. I think that it is the stress catching up with you, but it will pass. Get lots of those pedicures! I heard that massages were cheap in China, is that true? I hadn't seen you blog for a while and loved the post on Montana. When I was a romantic teenager, I thought that Montana would be the most perfect place to live in the world. I would watch "A River Runs Through It" over and over to watch the scenery, Brad Pitt wasn't too bad 3either.

mcrampton said...

Pedicures are God's way of saying..."it will allbe OK!".