Monday, December 15, 2008

The Christmas Highlight

So, we are going to Thailand after Christmas for a week. We're going to the northern mountain area called Chiang Mai, which everyone says is fantastic. Since the protesters have cleared out from the airports and the PM resigned, there hasn't been any news from Thailand, so everyone that was going there or going through there is back on with their vacation plans. The temps will be in the 80s during the day and the 50s at night--what I like to call "heavenly" and what we're really looking forward to. We have a general list of things to choose from for activities including elephant trekking, white water rafting, temple touring, shopping at the night market and touring the city, arts and crafts (batiks), and mountain biking (Cameron and Dad). We heard rumors that we can rent motorcycles/scooters for getting around, which would be a lot of fun.

The #1 activity that is on our list, however, is called Flight of the Gibbon. We saw it on "Amazing Race, Asia" and when we found that it's in Chiang Mai, we were all hooked. Take a look:



SHUT UP EVERYONE WHO KNOWS ME. I am seriously going to do this. Never mind that I FAINTED in college when I went rapelling. Don't mention about how I can't stand on a chair without vertigo. Just forget that all my most terrifying nightmares involve things like paragliding. This is different. Somehow.

For one thing, I'm actually considering this. And paying for it. Unlike bungee jumping, paragliding, and most amusement park rides, I'm not looking at this and immediately getting that feeling that says "if someone put a gun to my head and said, 'do it', I'd have to say 'pull the trigger, buddy'" (oooh, that was good punctuation right there). I do watch it and get a little sqirmish, but I figure the fact that I just spent money to be there and everyone else will ditch me in a heartbeat makes me believe I'll do it.

It does look like a lot of fun, though, doesn't it?

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I know life is not fair, however come on. Something that I would REALLY like to do... However, I am sure screams will be heard around the world once you start your first. Enjoy!

Karen said...

Oh man am I jealous!!! Two and a half HOURS?!? How amazingly cool is that? You seriously need to have about 3 mini video cameras so you can all film one another.

This is gonna be the vacation of a lifetime! I'm so excited that it worked out to go!

Unknown said...

You are going to have such a great time in Chiang Mai! There are so many fun things to do, and it's so affordable. Be sure to visit the walking street market on Sunday - it was my favorite! Merry Christmas!