Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow.

It snowed today. The kids went crazy--not my kids, but every other kid in school, it seemed! For many of them, it was the first or second time they've ever seen snow. In my afternoon class, they worked extra hard so they could get 10-15 minutes or so as a special treat outside!

Of course, by "snow" I'm being very very generous. It's so dry here that it hardly ever snows...but when I walked out of the house this morning, it had that "snow" feeling in the air and by the time I got to work there were little flurries. Which is all it ever really did, and nothing stuck, so if you happened to be Canadian or from Montana or Minnesota, you might have been excused if the most you could muster was a *sniff* at today's effort. Some of us just have the bar for "snow" set higher than others.
By contrast, this is Cameron in Glacier National Park at the end of July. When we got there 3 weeks earlier, we saw snow 15 feet deep! IN JULY. But it was hard not to smile at the kids trying so hard to work, but not able to resist sneaking peaks out of the window. One thing I have learned--something I suspected for a long time now--is that I can live the rest of my life having winter be a concept, not a reality in my life. I never really liked winter anyway, but as long as skiing was close and convenient, well, I'm for it. I spent most of my time in Minnesota grousing about the weather, too. Because I also don't like to sweat, even though I love being hot.
As an aside, I do know that I sometimes tend to see the glass as half-full, that on I tend to see the dust on the table, not the rose in the vase. But I have consistently been unhappy about two things in my life--my hair and the weather. Even when I have a perfect day or week, I just think ahead to how it will get cold, or whatever. But in Tanzania, I realized I stopped that. For whatever else living in Tanzania was, it was perfect weather-wise. Even during the rainy season--it was still warm. Even in the winter--i could stay warm with a long sleeve shirt. *sigh*
I'm seriously becoming more committed to the image of me being a condo grammy in Arizona or some retirement town in Florida.

3 comments:

andalucy said...

I begin to think I could do without winter, too. In Europe there are several places you can live where there is no snow and only mild cold, but drive an hour and your in the snowy mountains. I like that.

Karen said...

You remember last year when I was planning on moving to Kentucky to get away from winter?

Yup, put me on the bandwagon.

Mama Ava said...

Kentucky?! You know, Johnny Depp was born there, but he doesn't live there anymore.

I like Calandria's plan much better.

California is the same way--from skiing to the beach in one day.

But Europe is so...well, European. Much classier sounding.