Friday, February 06, 2009

From Cellar to Stellar

Let's recap my week...

Last Thursday my tooth broke in half and FELL OUT.

Saturday I had a 60 minute root canal, which was only part 1. Characteristically I cried the rest of the day (the anesthetic does something to me). Uncharacteristically it hurt like a you-know-what on and off all week. I took a day off Tuesday.

Sunday kitten Mao got out somehow. He's been eyeballing the door a lot and sneaking toward it but squeaked out at some point. He's only 4-5 months old and with all the dogs, cars, and cats...

Wednesday Noah decided to have a fever. Since it was going so well, he decided to keep it up Thursday, too. I sent him to school for 90 minutes to finish the school-wide testing. Sent him to school today because he really didn't look too bad. Big mistake. No sign of Mao.

Ava couldn't let Noah hog all the attention so she upped him by throwing up a LOT of stuff Thursday night. Still no kitten.

Had to stay home today with not-so-barfing child. Missed out on one of the very biggest school events, Temple Fair (pics over the weekend, like I care anymore). Spent 2 hours at the dentist finishing the root canal and getting a temporary crown. Can't wait to get back there again in 2 weeks for the real thing. As anesthetic wears off (and crying subsides) I realize this one hurts more than the first one. Damn.

And then, curled up on the couch, I heard it. A very persistent noisy "helLO I AM HERE" sound from out on the street. Mark swung open the door and in scooted MAO! I can't believe he actually came back. I really thought he was a goner (as did the kids who were picking out Mao the 2nd). He was just frantic, crawling all over us and telling us all about his troubles (he's a very talkative cat). We wanted to hug him a lot, but honestly, he smells of the very essence of China...dust, oil, smoke, grease. His white bits are completely gray and I can't imagine tomorrow scene when I bathe him because he really does need it. Unless I take him to a groomer...hmmm.

But a really crummy week has a wonderful wonderful ending.

4 comments:

andalucy said...

That WAS a truly horrendous week. I'm glad the ending made up for it at least somewhat. That's great that he made it back!

Karen said...

Yay!!!

shawn said...

glad the kitty is back.. sorry your tooth hurts.. but it's better than what I am doing on Tuesday.. hope that all the kidlets are better.. and you go ahead and cry with the dentist appointments.. Me, I am going for the valium...
And sounds like we were having the same kind of week..
Did you have a cosmo or 2???

Barb Matijevich said...

Oh my gosh, I was holding my breath. So glad you got your kitty back. Whew.