Thursday, July 09, 2009

Status Check


*Through a sneaky miracle of technology I am (hopefully not temporarily)able to bypass the Great Firewall of China and reach all my favorite time-wasting sites. Hooray! Although now there is a suspicious beeping noise emanating from the computer, making me think that I'm on some sort of implosion countdown. I need to keep Jack Bauer on speed-dial,just in case.


*My a/c in the living room is giving off very snarly sounds every 10 minutes or so. I could turn it off and call someone...but that might entail calling someone who comes and fixes my fridge or the bathroom door due to language issues. I could turn on the dining room a/c, but it's somehow leaking into the wall and causing all sorts of plaster damage, so I've had to shut it off until my landlady returns to China. My bedroom a/c is nominally working...and people, it's HOT here. It's not like you can LIVE without it. OK, I know theoretically one could, but still...

My new ayi is working but I sent her to a cooking class and I guess I can't find the information about exactly when she is going and when she's here working. Last night at 6:30 when I got home, my dog was missing (at the neighbors where she takes him and I didn't go get him because I'm lazy and wanted to both go to bed early and sleep in). Curiously, no laundry done, my bed not made, and the towels on the floor. Very un-ayi-like. She started working after I left for the States, so I've only seen her for a couple hours my first day back. I think/hope I'll see her today. Maybe she can solve my a/c issues--one of the nice things about Xiao (it's pronounced "show" as in the first part of "shower", but more like "shee-yow", but changing syllables very quickly. See why I can only count to 10 in Chinese?) is that she speaks a bit of English so she'll get what I'm saying.
*Why, when I googled "maid" under images, this was the only picture I felt comfortable posting? Apparently the word "maid" is virtually inseperable from the words "sassy" and "French". Men. Sheesh.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Seems to work!