Thursday, August 27, 2009

Immigration, Integration, or ?

My friend Kristi picked up her family of 4 last Christmas (on a 6 week notice) and moved them from California to Beijing. Last week she found out that she will be packing up her 4 children and moving them back to California for Christmas. Her husband, a fantastic father and spouse, will continue to travel the world as a condition of his job. My friend Calandria has just left with her 4 children for Spain for a life overseas. According to a recent survey, over 4 million Americans live and work abroad.

It's interesting the reasons people are not living in their home countries. Some are moved around like chess pieces by their corporations. Others take up jobs they could have in their own countries and take advantage of the travel and diverse opportunities. Some serve their countries. Some are dissatisfied with the politics or the values of their home countries. Some have just fallen in love with another place. Some bounce from country to country; others resettle and their children (and grandchildren) have a new place that is "home" for them.

We all assimilate differently, too. In Tanzania, where so many people were doing development and missionary work, work that required them to be able to work closely with and understand the local people, home leaves are given every 2-3 years. My embassy friends are required to return to the United States for a year every 3-4 years (and most return back to the States for the summers). For those people that serve and represent the United States, keeping them closely connected to the US is important. Some have married people and live within both cultures. Others, like us, live and work more disconnected from traditional lifestyles. Some are angry and hostile about where they are. Others jump in and live life and experience as much as they can before they have to leave.

Sometimes I read snarky things about living in expat "bubbles". People turn up their noses at those who bring hundreds of pounds of stuff back when they visit home. Some sneer at the ability to get Pop Tarts or Hidden Valley Ranch dressing through the PX. This one is so picky about the food her, they say. Or, that one has lived here for 4 years and can't speak a lick of the language. Some comments come from people who have not lived abroad. Others have lived abroad and seem to feel that there is a certain model that should be followed.
Do you know what a PopTart can do for a person's mental health and emotional well-being when they've been dropped into a county knowing no one and understanding nothing, discovering that electricity is available only from midnight until 6 am, and realizing that if you want furniture in an empty house you will have to find a man by the side of the road and somehow communicate to him that you want a chair made? I do. But I digress.

My friends Kristi and Karen and Jessica and all those women who married into this life...they have developed an amazing set of skills. They are able to marshall the energy and strength and faith to move their families, often at the drop of a hat. They don't have careers for the most part (if they wanted to). They land whever it is, get settled, start the kids in school, address whatever separation or loss or transition issues, join the PTA, lead worship, teach Sunday School, learn the language, and navigate their way around a new town. And in a couple years, they're going to do it again. And again. I have definitely met some people that are resentful and angry at their situation--I've even met people who could leave but stay, and are so hateful and mean about the culture and country they're living in. But for the most part, the women I've met are not enduring or surviving...they're thriving. I think about moving to Tanzania and then Beijing--both times decisions that we planned for together, both times when the path laid before us was made straight and clear. It was hard. Hard in so many ways. To have to do it over and over at times that are not under my control...I just don't know. I'm in awe of these women. And so when I read things about how corporate or other government wives don't live "in" the culture or country, I think...maybe it's because they've so damn much else to do. Except that they do. Have a lot to do AND live in the culture. Unless of course that means living in a hut with no water or plumbing. But if it means learning about the art and music, about learning enough Chinese in 6 months to be able to speak to their ayi, about being able to find any market in town...then they're doing just fine.

Who's to say whether any of us is doing the business of living the "right" way or not? Don't we all follow the path the best way we know how with what we're given?

7 comments:

Almost American said...

Great post! :-) It SO makes me feel like I'm not really an expat! I have had so little to cope with compared to many expats! I'm resettled, an immigrant, rather than being an expat who will eventually go home - and there really is a big difference a lot of the time!

Earthling said...

I agree. I'm not an ex-pat but an immigrant. I also know a number of Americans living here because they can not take their kids with them and other who live here because they have health problems and can't get care in the U.S.. Of course they choose it but its a lesser of two evils rather than truely wanting to live outside the U.S. for an adventure, work or love. If you feel trapped someplace its not nice.

Whatever the reason it is hard living in a foreign country at least in the beginning. I have learned a wealth of info but it is not romantic- its hard work. A friend's daughter just married a French guy. He seems really nice and everything but for just a second my heart dropped. You really have to have a commitment to marry a foreigner.

Barb Matijevich said...

This was a good reminder to me and all I did was move from Texas to New York. (It FEELS like a different planet, does that count?) Sometimes I am mighty resentful. Maybe I should get over myself.

Thanks.

Mama Ava said...

Barb, On the contrary, I think too often people overlook moves like yours. Sure, you had to make new friends, etc., but no one should discount the very real differences between regions of our country! It is a whole 'nother way of looking at life, of politic, of manners, of everything. In fact, in some ways I think our kinds of moves are sometimes actually easier...where we are, EVERYONE'S from somewhere else. You may have moved into a neighborhood where kids live just across town from their grandparents. It can take a lot of time to get settled.

Mama Ava said...

Earthling, I agree. I met a woman through my blog who had led several trips to Tanzania through her job as a professor and came to live with her daughter. I invited her to stay with us for the first 6 weeks or so until she got on her feet and I knew by the end of the first week she was not going to make it. She just couldn't cope with the demands and the realities of living in TZ and she was completely rocked by it. My friend who lived summers in Italy for years said the same thing. There's excitement and sometimes glamour, but it's hard EMOTIONAL work, too.

Brenda said...

Great post, Mama Ava.

I'm "Lucy's" friend in Minnesota. I'll probably never leave the country again, it's a financial thing. I'm so glad for the internet and blogs and being able to read about real people in other countries. Thanks!
Brenda

andalucy said...

I was just going to write that I am smack dab in the middle of the emotional and physical exhaustion of an overseas move, but then I remembered that I haven't even dealt with all the school stuff yet. Maybe this is only the beginning. Yikes. Anyway, one thing I am so, so grateful for is a supportive church group. We went to church today not knowing what to expect and we were literally embraced. It made me want to cry tears of joy. We had so many offers of help. The girls G's age threw a little impromptu welcome party for her after church. It was so great!