Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Christmas is Coming...

According to Wikipedia there are around 41 million Christians in China. That's a lot...of course, there are 21 million people in just Beijing. And Beijing is not the biggest city. And a city of 7 million people is not considered large here. Christmas is definitely present around this time...but it's largely for the foreigners. Wealthy Chinese, especially those who have lived in Western countries may do a bit more present giving, but even the Chinese that work at our school, surrounded by talk and decorations and plans, don't pay much attention to it. Two quotes in a local magazine:


"I know that Christmas is orginally from Christianity. Some people call it "the second Valentine's Day." Young people here seem to go crazy for it. Lovers buy each other gifts and go to Western restaurants for romantic dinners; some go to bars to drink and dance till the small hours. I guess when it comes to Christmas Day they can experience as many Western things as they want."

"I don't know what Christmas is." The only thing I know about is that it's a Western festival. During Christmas the city looks different; there's a feeling of freshness. But I don't take my kids to the city just to look at pictures of Santa Claus. We'll only make a special effort to go and look at decorations when it comes to the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year)."

Interesting. In my apparently self-centered way, I knew that enormous chunks of the world don't celebrate Christmas. It's just interesting to know that I'm surrounded by people who don't know what it is, both from a faith and a cultural perspective.

I did find a Christian carver who makes Chinese nativities, though. One's going to look great in our house she thinks, humming "happy birthday to me" softly around her husband.

2 comments:

andalucy said...

I really like that image. Are they Mary and baby Jesus?

I thought of you yesterday when I stumbled across a creche fair in Seville. A Chinese one sounds really cool. Have you seen any Mongolian nativities?

Mama Ava said...

I would love a Spanish nativity...shall we agree to shop for each other and then work out the giving part?

I haven't seen any Mongolian ones. Actual Mongolia is a separate country (although a region of China is called Inner Mongolia). The carver where I see the nativities and other Christian work tells me he is the only one in China. It's possible!

I think the image is of Mary and Jesus. It's from Google images and I was too lazy to look any further than the pic. It does look like a Madonna and child. It's very Chinese, but I thought were was a kind of eastern Orthodox flavor to it, too.