Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ringing in the New Year




For most of my life, I have happily avoided New Year's celebrations. Drinks and food are overpriced, restaurants are overcrowded, and celebrations seem forced. I just don't get staying up late so I can drink a little more and jump up and down. Lucky me--now I live in a country where I can get not one, but TWO New Year's (we're getting ready to roll in the Year of the Tiger in a couple weeks).

Did I mention that I love Thailand? Because I think I've found the perfect way to celebrate New Year's. I'd even go so far as to say it would be perfect even if it weren't celebrated in shorts or on a beach. If the beginning of January (from the Latin "Janus" the god gates and doorways, beginnings and endings) is a time of looking back at what has happened and looking ahead to what is to come, shouldn't there be a better way to do it than by wearing a silly hat and mauling strangers?

We saw this Thai tradition (or maybe it's Buddhist) last year from a distance and it was just beautiful, so we were very excited to be able to participate this year. The resort we stayed at had a big Thai/seafood barbecue and then fireworks and lanterns at 9:30 for the kids and again at midnight. We had so much fun we all stayed up to do it twice. The idea is that you light the lanterns and make a wish or a promise or a resolution, or say a prayer, or whatever touches your heart. Then, you release the lantern. I had such a feeling of peace as I watched our lanterns sail up and out over the ocean. Up and down the coast we could see lanterns being released everywhere. Lovely.



2 comments:

andalucy said...

Wow! What a wonderful way to celebrate the New Year! I really want to go to Thailand.

Karen said...

I think this is the most wonderful way to celebrate New Year's that I have ever heard of.

Someday let's do it together.