Sunday, January 23, 2011

What is it with the Mormons?


I found a funny article called "Why I Can't Stop Reading Mormon Housewife Blogs." I have a friend, Andalucy, whose blog I love to read, who is Mormon. And her sister, who often posts wickedly funny things on Facebook, I also count as one of the very few friends I've never met in person, but I can't wait to! Growing up my friend Lisa and I would hanker our Mormon friends for invitations to dances. People had to dress nicely at those dances. The lights had to be on. Chaperones circulated, making sure there was no hanky-panky (or close dancing) going on. And the dancing--not hanging on to each other, but a clean-cut nice-looking boy would take your hand and hold you around the waist (his name was Mark and we ate too many Frosties at Wendy's so we could gaze at his bastketball picture on the sports wall and yes, Dr. Friess, I was I who stole his picture from the "after" section of your orthodontist's photo album). Going to those dances was like taking a step back in time. It felt simple, safe, and refreshing.


But here's the thing--the girl we would finagle invitations out of was one of 13 children. Her father was the principal at our elementary school. Our neighbors also sported a family of 13 kids (including 2 sets of twins). He was an artist. I'm pretty sure with that many kids, niehter of those moms had time for flower-arranging, reupholstering furniture, and finding the perfect grograin ribbon to edge those new throw pillows. Honestly, I would think that maybe FEEDING and CLOTHING that many people might consume someone's days. Andalucy and her sister both sound like delicious cooks, and I'm sure keep lovely houses, but...seriously? The whole "shining-happy-people" all around seems to be really taken to an extreme.


I wonder if all those people who love to lurk on Mormon blogs, yearning for an escape from their own lives, stop and consider why Mormons have their image? I think it's because if you are Mormon, you've committed your life to something larger and more everlasting than just yourself and your own needs. I know several quite conservative Christians (whose politics make my toes curl) who exude a sense of joy and peace, even when things are tough. These families have recognized that life isn't really all about them. There's something more, something bigger, something much better in and around them. There's a purpose, a direction, and an intentional reason for their decisions. The things their children "can't" do--not a big deal, because they all know why they are living their lives and what they are doing instead of all those things society tells us to do and have is better. My Mormon friends are well-read. By tuning out so many aspects of modern culture, their children are independent, creative, and articulate. They know so much about history, and music, and literature. By turning away from caffeine and alcohol, they are healthier.


It's not about being Mormon, I suspect, as much as it is being disciplined and intentional--and a life that is disciplined and intentional can't be simply attributed to just a religion. It is a daily commitment to a belief and a way of life that is NOT always shiny and pretty and perfect. It is a way of life, though, that makes sense and give structure and purpose to what you do. I suspect those who are committed to other faiths would understand that. It's not about any of those things those women say they read those blogs for. At the end of the article the author says, "But the basic messages expressed in these blogs -- family is wonderful, life is meant to be enjoyed, celebrate the small things -- are still lovely." That's not Mormon, folks. That's entirely possible and attainable. For all of us.

2 comments:

andalucy said...

Wow, I love this post!! I think you are completely right that people are not reading those blogs for the grosgrain ribbon and hand-stamped napkins, that it's about experiencing a little piece of the joy that people who are committed to a higher cause find in their daily lives.

Unknown said...

Hi! I just found your blog! I am a Mormon and thought it was a great piece!
My family and I will be moving to Beijing this summer! I would love to email you and get to know some things from your perspective...
jenlbot@yahoo.com
Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!
Jen