Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Grease is the Word...

...and the ISM musical this year. Remember "Grease"? I do. It was 1979 and I was on my first date. My mom drove me and my friend Sarah and our two dates to the movies, 20 miles away. We rode in the very back of our Blazer so we could have some privacy. I got my first kiss.



My friend Karen and I were having a very silly IM conversation trying to remember those teen idols that we adored back in the day...Scott Baio, Leif Garrett, Shaun Cassidy, etc. When we wondered who the boys were pining after, Mark announced with absolutely no hesitation "Olivia Newton-John!"



Now that I've rewatched it I can see why. She was truly adorable (and pretty hot in the black satin pants). I always thought John Travolta was a bit too "Vinny Barbarino: (thereby dating myself seriously with that reference) and whole movie was a bit cheesy (and racy) but so much fun.

You probably won't remember Eugene from the movie. He was the nerd who helped Patty Simcox organize the dance show. The T-birds also tripped him down the stairs and used a joy buzzer on him. I only mention it because Cameron auditioned for the part of Eugene and found out today he got the part. It's a small part but he'll get to sing and dance in the final number and is a good start for a kid who is doing this for the first time. He has gotten lots of very positive feedback from his drama teacher about his abilities and is very excited. And I mean this in the most complimentary way--he does the "nerd" thing very well. When he competed in Destination Imagination he created a "nerd dad" character that got very good feedback. Those of you who know him to be pretty quiet and introverted would be surprised to see him acting so unselfconsciously when he's had the opportunity.



Congratulations Cameron! We're very proud!

3 comments:

Karen said...

OK, I just love the way she uses MY name but then lists the guys SHE pined after. Scott Baio and Leif Garett? Puh-leeze. Shaun Cassidy? a BABY next to his dreamy brother DAVID. Carla isn't that much younger than me but she sure shows here age here.

harrumph.

Karen said...

Oh. And b-t-w, CONGRATULATIONS, CAMERON!!! That is SO cool. You guys better tape the entire production so we can all appreciate it at a later date!

andalucy said...

You're right, I can't picture Cameron acting. I'll have to see the video. :-)

What about Menudo?