Tuesday, June 23, 2009

You MUST!


There is not such a cradle of democracy upon the earth as the Free Public Library, this republic of letters, where neither rank, office, nor wealth receives the slightest consideration. ~Andrew Carnegie


Yesterday we took a trip to the local library. I felt that sense of reverance and awe that I always feel when I enter a library--so many books, so many possibilities, so many adventures. I remembered my lifelong love with libraries. As a teen I remember settling in for a long afternoon tanning session, a giant stack of books by my lounge chair. I love to read and a good book comes before just about every other chore or obligation I have. I have no restraint for pacing. I start and read until I finish.

We have lived now for 4 years without a library. In Tanzania, there simply weren't any books really anywhere. In China, books are available at the few English-langauge stores, but they are not convenient, the selection is limited, and the prices are high. Our school has a great library for the kids, with some adult books as well.

"Mommy, are you buying these books?" asked Ava as she watched me take out a dollar.

"No, honey, just a card. You get to take as many books as you can read in 10 days for free."

"You just get to take them for free?" What if people just take a whole bunch of them and don't bring them back and then they could sell them or something!" (We would sometimes see books from our school or church library for sale on the street in Tanzania).

"Well, I guess that doesn't happen here. If you lost a book you need to pay for it, and if you don't return them, they don't let you take any more books. People love their library and so they take care of the books so they can keep coming back."

"Wow. This is great!" said Ava, skipping off to find just one more.

She's right, of course. The blessing of a public library is something that can't be ignored. NEVER take it for granted. DEMAND that public libraries are funded. SCREAM when they aren't. RIOT to get the powers that be's attention. The ability of anyone to walk into a library and come out with a book--on the honor system, for free--is something I know I took for granted until I no longer had that opportunity. Irrespective of education, race, culture, or economic status, you can get a book or a magazine, or a movie. That's incredible, really it is. There's just nothing like it in the world.

My friend Calandria has a sister, Ave, who works at a public library. She occasionally posts about the trials of working at a library in a small town. I've decided I spend too much time actually in the books--next time I visit, I'm going to pull up a chair near to the circulation/information desk and commence people watching and eavesdropping!

I think the health of our civilization, the depth of our awareness about the underpinnings of our culture and our concern for the future can all be tested by how well we support our libraries. ~Carl Sagan

1 comment:

Ave said...

Hahahahaha, yeah it is a pretty good place to eavesdrop. What really fascinates me are the family sagas that I get to see unfurl. Then again, there are probably lots of librarians who don't really pay much attention, in general librarians are reclusive and quite type A.
What you say about the importance of public libraries is so true. In this economic depression we are seeing that so many more people are discovering the local library for the first time. That at least, is one good thing.