Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Some thoughts because I can't upload pics for some reason

St. Karen also sent me People magazine's "Twenty Years of the Sexiest Man Alive". Here's what I've learned...

*I'm old--I was an adult 20 years ago
*Tom Cruise was really never that good-looking.
*Neither was Brad Pitt (except for A River Runs Through it)
*Mel Gibson really was that good-looking
*Patrick Swayze really DID look that good dancing
*Rob Lowe used way too much mousse (as did everyone else) in the 80s
*Hugh Jackman has been shortchanged every year he hasn't been on the cover
*I'm more interested in how long celebrities have been married than what they look like

I also used the word "paean" in a recent email to a friend. I'm pretty sure I know 3 people who can confidently know the definition of that word off the top of their heads. Feel free to discuss...

Virtually all Swahili words begin with mw or wa, and end in "i". They are also fond of repeating syllables...case in point...

yeye
wawa
mimi
baba
dada
kaka
dudu
mama
bibi
kuku
sisi

Points for whoever knows these...plus I'll crib the answers from you for my homework assignments (although, truth to tell, these are the few that I've been able to commit to memory so far).

Good night!

7 comments:

andalucy said...

Did you know that Hugh Jackman's wife is like 8 years older than he is?

Mama Ava said...

Yes, about Hugh--I'm a bit of a fan, even though his movies range from OK to really dreadful (Van Helsing). No, I don't know his birthdate. I just know he comes in lots of yummy versions. And I think the Xmen franchise is a lot of fun.

Mama Ava said...

I did get to the pages of Johnny and George, but I figured perhaps I had gone on a bit much at the time. I love G. Clooney (I assume that's who you meant, not Bush)--he's 1950s Cary Grant-style handsome.

andalucy said...

George Clooney is my favorite. I think he's one of the few men that if I suddenly met him or talked with him I'd turn into a complete idiot.

Mama Ava said...

Well,all of you happily married women of a certain age...feel free to discuss good-looking men other than your husbands. I just didn't want to appear less than faithful on this blog...but my next husband will, in fact, be Hugh Jackman. Since his wife is older than he is (and older than I am) I'll outlive her and snap him up. Perhaps some pics...

Steve said...

I want you to know that Karen sat in the kitchen verifying that there was SOMETHING in the People to satisfy your Jackman jones.

Mama Ava said...

Yes, I caught the pic of Hugh in the mag, Karen and Steve. I think I'm going to have to break away from Africa and post some Hugh to get the word out.