Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Fa ra ra ra ra...and other Chinglish Festivities


Monday was a hell of a week. Tuesday was not much better and Wednesday pretty much cemented the tone...

My mind is paralyzed. I just wish this weren't so cheerful looking. It would be more descriptive if it had a rotting skull or something--something that gave a sense of this week's gloomy fog I'm in. That's the Chinese for you, though. They love this tween-y stuff and irrespressibly cheerful tones to their signs and t-shirts.






Unless, of course, they think you're a whore. And they don't mess around with just you--they'll slap that label on the whole fam-damily. You remember Mulan--"Dishonor! Dishonor on your whole family! Dishonor on you, dishonor on your cow..." It's a lot of responsibility.







Oh, if only Charles Dickens had been Chinese. How different Christmas might have been!
"God bress us, every one!"









sigh. This goes a long way toward explaining my children's constant clamoring for Subway or Pizza Hut.









Then again, a hot dog's always good. I get so sick of people (honey, you know who you are) kvetching about what's in hot dogs. OK, first of all, if it's all ground up, then it's not really that big of a deal, is it? And B, it can be considered generally a safe food because it's loaded with preservatives--so less change of spoilage. AND, just so you all of you know--that tuna you buy? Even the albacore packed in water? IT'S THE HOT DOG OF THE SEA. Fish lips and bums and other unmentionables packed all neatly together. You can eat your parts in a tin or in a tube. I'm just sayin.'
I have no idea what the Chinese are trying to say.




"...and I thinking to self, what a wondering of word.."

(more crazy stuff like this can be found at www.engrish.com)

3 comments:

Ave said...

That was so fun to read. Thanks for posting it. Wicked hilarious.

andalucy said...

Oh my gosh. Like Ave said, wicked hilarious. Every time I need a little laugh today I'm going to start singing "fa ra ra ra ra..."

I WANT that Lee tshirt. If it's a tshirt.

shawn said...

well I thought of you while I was eating hotdogs for dinner and then for lunch the next day... Don't care what anyone says.. I still love hotdogs...