Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A (superficial) word about the Oscars

Now, I know I just posted a very serious story about our situation here, but I also just found out that I missed the Oscars, which I thought were next week--imagine, they went on without me! But I'll contribute my 2 cents...

If you haven't seen "Crash" you really should. It's a very painful look at race relations in America. I was left very disturbed and with an unsettled feeling that this is probably a pretty accurate portrayal of how people see each other. Which is pretty sad.

Matt Dillon (former teenage heartthrob) does a spot-on performance as a racist cop who is also tormented by trying to care for his dying father who is unable to navigate the maze of health care to get help. (btw--he also does a great turn as a self-centered pretty boy race car driver who goes over the edge in "Herbie Rides Again")

And Reese Witherspoon, who is really great in everything, too--if you haven't seen "Walk the Line" and/or bought a Johnny Cash Cd--well, shame on you! Everyone talks about Joaquin Phoenix--and he was tremendous as well, but her strength, not in just supporting him, but in resisting him, too, was amazing to watch.

And then I left the country without seeing anything else. Someone told me that in 6 months I wouldn't know or care about American pop culture, but I don't know...I admit it...I love pop movie culture, esp. movies. So there. And I have friends who will make sure I continue to keep up with the minutae of the celebrity movie world, even if I have to resort to watching bootleg movies here.

Which I won't be able to do because I won't have any electricity.

1 comment:

Mama Ava said...

Just watch Crash and Walk the Line. For different reasons but they're both great.

And remember what I said about King Kong. It won't be any better on DVD