Monday, November 03, 2008

I Got Wheels! (11/3/08 Blog Post # 3)

I am an American.

Why? Because this is one of the biggest accomplishments so far in Beijing.

My driver’s license.

Beijing is the largest city we’ve ever lived in, probably one of the largest we ever will live in. Since the Olympics we have a pretty decent subway and cabs everywhere. Millions of people all over the world get along very very well without cars. In fact, there are many who would say, “You can keep your car. Public transportation is so much cheaper and more convenient in the long run.”


Eh. We’ve lived here for almost 3 months now, and I have taken cabs and subways galore. Even this weekend, license in hand and car in the driveway, I opted for the cab. Beijing has great roads—smooth, well-marked, and wide. And millions of people who moved straight from bicycle to big car with virtually no training. There are no herds of cattle on the road, but there are bicycles, tricycles, pedicabs, cars, buses, and pedestrians—all cheerfully ignoring most of the conventions of driving while moving along between 40 and 50 miles an hour.


I didn’t like having to build in the fatigue factor from finding a cab, negotiating the subway, having to stand and change 3 lines, and then walk. You just get tired. Sometimes I saw some things to buy, but just didn’t want to lug it all over creation as I worked my way back to the house. I got frustrated when cab drivers wouldn’t let all of us in a cab, or refused to take us to our villa because they didn’t know where it was or didn’t want to come out here. I wanted to go somewhere but wasn’t exactly sure where it was and couldn’t manage the communication with the cab driver.

So, like a good American, I’m going to drive my car. To work when it’s cold. To the store when it’s cold (in the warm weather it’s no big deal because they all deliver). Especially out to eat and explore the great restaurants here. To see the sights outside the crowded city. Tomorrow I’m going to drive it to the gas station (wherever that is) and find out how much gas actually costs here!

No comments: