Friday, November 07, 2008

*Sigh*. (Blog #7 11/7/08)

OK, something got me very very fired up this week, and it has nothing to do with politics. And there’s gonna be a post on it, just as soon as I collect my thoughts. And boy, do they need collecting. But, the whole thing pointed me toward a website with some random lists that made me smile (as opposed to the way another list of theirs is being used, but that is another post). So, here it is: Romantic movie moments. They had several that were sweet and memorable but here are the ones the curl my toes.


*Out of Africa. One of my all time favorites. Ever. I went through a phase where the whole thing was tragically romantic and I loved Denys Finch-Hatton and coveted her clothes and her house. Then there was the phase where Robert was a selfish SOB who couldn’t compromise anything for Meryl. But whatever the mood, when he washes her hair—so gentle, so tender, so…*sigh*.







*Pride and Prejudice. The original Colin Firth BBC version is stellar. Kiera Knightly is just too pretty and modern looking for the period. But when Mr. Darcy strides across the moors in the morning mist and utters those words, “From moment I met you, you have bewitched me, body and soul” it’s perfection. Topped off with…NOT a kiss. Not yet--you have to wait until the very end for that. Perfect. Lovely.





*Gone with the Wind. Don't talk to me about one iota of trouble you have with this film. NO. Not one word or syllable or breath. Whatever you may think, unless it is abiding eternal devotion, you just keep it to yourself. I know this movie by heart. I know the book by heart. It is the only thing in my life where I might consider buyinig a movie memorabilia collectible. This is the movie for me.
So... there are so many moments, but some of those are not the moments (at least for me) that are normally highlighted as the romantic parts. Of course, there’s the moment “There's one thing I do know... and that is that I love you, Scarlett. In spite of you and me and the whole silly world going to pieces around us, I love you. But it’s the end that gets me. Right before he leaves. When he admits how much he loved her, how he tried, how they’ve been at “cross purposes” and Scarlett is desperate to stop him. That moment, all that wasted time, and he has her in his hands right there-- and he leaves. *sigh*

I love it so much I applied several layers of disbelief suspension and adoration and sucked up the book sequel and liked it. There, I said it.

*Brokeback Mountain. OK, this doesn't qualify for me as "romantic." Truth to tell, I haven't even seen the whole movie yet. A few weeks ago I caught the last 20 minutes or so, and without having seen the whole movie, I think it was one of the most emotional scenes I've ever seen. Heath Ledger goes to Jake Gyllenahaal's parent's home. The father can't look at Heath; the mother is obviously in the grips of pain and sadness, but lets Heath up the stairs to Jake's room. When Heath finds and keeps the shirts in that empty closet, the ones that Jake Gyllenhaal had saved, there are no words for the sense of pain and loss that exists in that scene. There are no words--silence of that scene “says” it all. I think it's a universal moment of love and loss that transcends the controversial issues surrounding the movie.

So, what are yours? Send me your votes for those movie moments that are take-your-breath-away romantic. I'll post them here. Even if they have Meg Ryan in them. Especially if they have Hugh Jackman in them.

3 comments:

andalucy said...

Have you seen the movie "I Know Where I'm Going"? Probably not. It's not well-known. It's about this beautiful young Englishwoman (Dame Wendy Hiller) who is on her way to a remote Scottish island to marry her fiance, who is rich, but old. There is a storm and she is stranded on another island for a week, where she meets a young naval officer. There is this part at the end that just kills me. But I don't want to give it away. You'll have to see it!

Unknown said...

Calandria, I thought I should never know another "I Know Where I'm Going" Fan. How wonderful!
You are quite correct. the last scene is marvelous, but there are so many others to enjoy; counting the beams, the boat trip, the animation of the plaid train to Scotland, and many more.
They don't make movie stars like those two anymore.
Are you enjoying Beijing? I found it a miserably polluted place, hard to breathe, but ah, the scenery!

Unknown said...

Mama Ava,
I stumbled across your blog for the first time, and I have to share two of my favorite romantic movies with you:

1st one is: Little Women (the one with Winona Ryder and Gabrielle Byrne as Fredrick. At the end, when she asks him to stay, he says, "I've nothing to offer; my hands are empty", and Jo puts her hand in his and says, "not anymore". Makes my cry like a baby.

2nd one is: Miss Potter. Ewan McGregor dancing with Rene Zellweger, singing "Can I Teach You How To Dance". {sigh....}

Out of Africa is my all time favorite movie (seriously--by far). And I can watch Pride & Prejudice over and over also.