Friday, November 28, 2008

No, It's not Just an Excuse for Hugh (Blog #29 11/29/08)


Really, it's not. I call your attention to the figure that resembles not so much Nicole Kidman as some stretched tight plasticine replica.

Seriously, what is up with that? She's got spectacular hair and porcelein skin you could die for. I remember reading an article about how her mother refused to let her out in the Australian sun, even with sunscreen, because she was so fair, and how she used to hate her mother for it, but now she really appreciated her efforts because her skin was in such good shape. So, here we have a tall woman, one who probably tends to be on the thin side anyway (although it's obvious the woman has not consumed more than a lettuce leaf at any one sitting since 1997), the kind of hair that can be "lively" (right, Calandria?), and stellar skin.




And yet...she's Botoxed tighter than my jeans in 9th grade. There is not even the tiniest semblance of a line or a wrinkle. She's all tight...and shiny. The one token nod to fat cells seems to rest solely in her upper lip.

I have absolutely nothing against Botox, really. I think that if people get to a certain age (somewhere very near the age I am now) and feel like putting the brakes on Mother Nature a bit, go for it. I'd probably do it if I could afford it, even when sometimes I say I wouldn't--like you know how I say I wouldn't drive a big SUV because of the whole gas cost/pollution thing, but honestly, it's only because I can't afford one. I know that women (right or wrong) have a short shelf life in Hollywood, and that the effort to maintain starts earlier and is more aggressive. I don't even want to debate that. What I don't understand is, why doesn't her stylist, her publicist, her husband, her friends, her family have a little talk with her? Can anyone think she's "aging gracefully"? Take a look at her a few years ago.

Heck, take a look at Hugh. Granted, he's a bit younger, and lines on guys always look "rugged" but still--in this whole "Australia" love epic movie I'm having a hard time with the two of them together, largely in part of because of her plastic-y appearance. Even if she is supposed to be an English aristocrat.
Perhaps Nic should take a cue from Mrs. Jackman--I think she's around 48 (to his 40). I suspect even she has done a bit of work, and she shows up for everything--Hollywood premieres, the beach, grocery shopping--wearing her hair just like that (OK, secretly, I'd have to want her to be my friend because I'd be doing some of that, too), but I think she's got great bone structure and character and personality in her face. Oh, and expression, too.

Finally, I'd like to offer up Dame Helen Mirren. Holy cats, but she's rocking the aging process. I'm betting she, too, has done a little of the nip and tuck, but whatever she's done, it's looking very very good on her. How old is she--in her 60's? Wow. The woman doesn't appear to be hurting in the least. I seem to remember actually working, so somewhere along the line she's figured it out. Women of a certain age--those who think a fat upper lip, skeletal bone structure and the inability to show any emotion--should dig out pencil and paper and start taking notes.
Wow.








3 comments:

Karen said...

Saw the movie. Loved it. She was too thin and too smoothly-skinned but it was still great.

Hugh - definitely better with facial hair. And on horseback.

And the kid is DARLING.

andalucy said...

I thought of seeing that last night but it looked a bit more intense than I could take at that moment, so I went for super fluff Mama Mia at the discount theater. Speaking of people who look their age and incredible at the same time, what about that Meryl Streep!? I love her look because it's so natural. She doesn't look like she tries too hard. She's not too thin and she has a REAL smile with crow's feet. To me that's so much more appealing than Miss "only-my-mouth-can-smile-because-the-rest-of-my-face-was-deadened" Kidman.

Mama Ava said...

I completely agree about Meryl Streep, Calandria. I had a picture to post of her here, but got tired and ran out of time. I think sometimes she's in danger of crossing the frumpy zone with her hair--but she has such beautiful skin, too.

It baffles me that people who are so wealthy and spend so much thinking about their appearance do such strange things to their looks and then seem to be content with it!