Sunday, November 09, 2008

Ten Things... (Blog #9 11/9/08)


Here are ten things in no particular order that I didn't have 10 years ago that I can't live without. Some are sentimental, some are geeky, some are gadgety. That pretty much sums me up!

1. My kids. They drive me batty, they wear me out, they make me old...and they keep me young. And happy. I don't think anyone should ever feel pressured by family or society to have children, and I know several couples who have chosen not to have children, but I just don't know what I'd do without mine (well, I would fill the time for the first week or so, let's be honest. Then I'd fall apart).

2. My computer. Yes, I've only had a computer for 13 years. We got our first one (a Mac) when Cameron was born. A year or so ago, I was looking for something and my friend Karen found it--she keeps all her emails from the very first one. I said something to the effect of, "well, I didn't have internet then." We got email and internet at home only about 5 years ago. We had it at school and really didn't use it for much else besides school work. How the times have changed!

3. A passport. We moved to Tanzania in February of 2006. If anyone had told me in 2004 that I would be living in Africa I would have had a great laugh. If anyone in Africa had told me I'd be living in China, I'd have laughed even harder. You just never know.

4. A cell phone. A convenience in the States (where I only turned it on when I was in the car), an absolute necessity for all sorts of reasons in Tanzania. I can't imagine owning something as fancy as an iPhone or even getting my email on my cell phone, but you just never know.

5. Pedicures. I used to get them a couple times in the summer. In Tanzania I got them every 2 weeks. They were cheap and wearing flipflops and sandals all year 'round put your feet on display. Here, they're double the TZ price but well worth the respite from a busy day, even if my toes are hidden in fleece socks.

6. Househelp. OK, this is one I don't talk about much. People who have not had one think we are so spoiled. I do feel a bit more spoiled here than in Tanzania, where I really did need one to get anything done with how inefficient everything was there. Here, things are more modern and convenient (except for laundry) so I do feel it's a bit more of a luxury. It is heavenly, no doubt. If you haven't ever had househelp, though (and not just a cleaner that comes in once a week), it's hard to understand that it is strange and sometimes downright annoying to have someone in your house all the time. It never runs itself and there are times when I just grit my teeth, knowing I could do something quicker myself, and remember that I really am lucky to have this in my life and go back to my ayi and have another try.

7. Cowboy boots. When I was very little, all I wanted was a horse. When I was six we moved to Montana and I got my wish. I wore cowboy boots every day except to gym class. I loved boots. Then I got teenagery and cool and wore Nikes, and Asics and whatever else passed for fashion. Last year I bought a pair and fell in love all over again. They were instantly comfortable and I love just looking at them. They are the one thing I wear where I wouldn't care if someone made fun of me in them. I have my eye on a pair of black iguana ones, wondering if you can put a price on love (in this case $275).

8. Glasses. Yes, they're still just the supermarket ones, but the handwriting's on the wall (not that I can see it). I'm OLD. And I need them all the time to read anything. *sigh*


9. A DVD player. I bought the first one at a Peace House Colors of Hope silent auction, because everything else was out of my range and I figured everyone else in the world already had one and so I'd have a good chance to get it. Now, it's a treasured item...I love movies--a lot--and not having a movie theatre or television means that we watch a lot more movies. You can get real quality dvd bootlegs here for $3!



10. An iPod. Maybe a lot of people didn't have them then. Maybe they weren't invented then. See what a techno-nerd I am? Now I just love it. I still don't have many songs on it and my playlists scream "nerd mom of kids" (honestly--Barry Manilow, Veggie Tales, Weird Al, Canadian Brass, and the Eagles?!) but I think it's great.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What a great idea to make such a list. Makes me think a little..... hmmmmm. Love the cowboy boots!!!