Thursday, November 06, 2008

To Each His Own Flowers. (Blog #6 11/6/08)


I've always liked flowers, but I've never bee one for having fresh flowers in the house. Or plants, for that matter. Whenever I'm in someone's house I always admire their plants, but since I just kill whatever comes in my house, I never have any plants.

Actually, I have a theory that I'm not the one who kills them. It's actually Mark. Mark, who believes the house should be kept to 40 degrees in the winter. What kind of plant (except tundra grass) can survive?!

But here I"ve already acquired 3 large gorgeous plants--I'm hoping that they will help keep the air cleaner in the house (at least that's what everyone says). And fresh flowers are really inexpensive here and they're sold everywhere so I'm going to try to keep some in the house. Aren't these beautiful? They were about $6. For the bunch! You can smell them all over the house.

Who wouldn't love those flowers? I think that most people anywhere would find those flowers to be very nice. Doesn't everyone love flowers?

Well, yes, I suppose so. But there's obviously a difference opinion over what constitutes a flower and a weed. Noah found these babies for sale in the flower shop. Yes, they are. They are DANDELION seeds. As in, some people would want them in their yard, want them so much, in fact, that they would buy seeds and cultivate them. These are no ordinary seeds, either. Look closely--they are a high quality species. Man, that must mean they are fast-growing. Hardy. Great at reproducing. In other words, dandelions.
I found this funny. At my house in Minnesota, I crave my neighbor's beautiful colorful yard. It really puts mine to shame. She carts home hundreds of dollars of annuals, lovingly plants them and tends them all summer. I grow perennials, including lots of hostas. They're cheap, they more of themselves all on their own so I don't have to buy more, and they're pretty self-sufficient, which is good because I find gardening work, not therapuetic release. But I am a Nazi about dandelions. The very second one dares show a leaf, I'm all over it with whatever it takes. My lawn may not be the greenest, lushest, softest patch of the grass in the neigborhood, but by gum, there are no dandelions in it!
Noah said he was going to plant these in our yard. Gotta go--these belong in the trashcan!

No comments: